Tips To Make Your Stay at our B&B Greener
We are working to make our destination more eco-friendly, but we need your help. We can all reduce our impact on the environment by making choices. As a visitor you have a very important role to play in helping us to conserve our natural assets and become a more sustainable destination. Here are our recommended tips on how you can help:
Reduce energy by switching off lights and closing windows if heating is on. The Energy Saving Trust provides information on what you can do at home. https://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk
Give the Car a Rest
Leave the car behind, if only for a day. Walk, cycle or use public transport. We will happily provide you with advice. https://www.traveline.org.uk/;https://www.seat61.com; https://www.sustrans.org.uk/
Use local products, they give you a flavour of the area and help support local communities. We are fortunate to have some fantastic producers of food, drink and arts and crafts. Ask us about local markets or local and regional produce.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Try to avoid overly packaged goods and say no to that extra carrier bag. You can also support us in our efforts to recycle – please ask for more details.
Be Water Wise
The UK has rising costs for water treatment and flood defence so please use water wisely. Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth and adhere to towel policies or other water saving initiatives
Help us to look after the landscape and wildlife by not littering, guarding against fire and using footpaths and cycle-ways responsibly.
- Ensure you follow the Countryside Code https://www.countrysideaccess.gov.uk
- Support Green Businesses
There are thousands of businesses in the British Isles working to reduce their carbon footprint through the Green Tourism Business Scheme. Businesses are awarded Bronze, Silver and Gold for their efforts to be more sustainable. https://www.green-business.co.uk
Therefore whilst staying at the B&B please consider the following:
- Boil only the amount of water you need
- Switch off lights, televisions and music systems when leaving the room
- Unplug appliances when not in use (including phone / ipod chargers)
- In winter, keep curtains open during the day but make sure they are drawn at dusk.
- Don’t leave appliances on standby.
- Use public transport, walk or cycle rather than using the car. Understandably this is more difficult in a rural setting so at the least please share vehicles if more than one.
- Use the recycling facilities provided. We also collect stamps for the local primary school and unwanted clothes, rags, belts, bags, shoes, etc and books as a fundraiser for the school also.